Friday, November 19, 2010

//answering the call

I don't even know where to begin! So much has happened in the past few weeks, it's even hard to remember what has gone on, but every second of life is SO INCREDIBLE right now. I have never felt more alive in my life. For the first time in years I have focus again. I am passionate about the things I am learning. I have a drive to be successful, and it is all coming from Jesus.


We just finished The Fear of the Lord by John Bevere. People- READ THIS BOOK. It will change your life. Seriously! Bevere points out some incredible points. Our nation has lost its reverence for life. We are so apathetic, it's pathetic! (Haha) Yesterday I was in downtown Seattle at an executive luncheon for the Nordstrom Company (met Blake Nordstrom, but that's another story!) and as I was standing in the lobby I was observing the business men and women come and go from the building. Not once did I see a man open the door for the lady behind him, let alone acknowledge there was a lady near him. It made me so angry and sad at the same time. Not only was there a lack of reverence and respect for the woman but there was a lack of leadership present. Men have chosen to be apathetic and no longer be the protectors and leaders God has called them to be. Just observe a couple the next time you are out- you will probably see the guy racing ahead of the girl while she is trying to keep pace with him. The book talks about this irreverence for everything in our lives and how important it is that we WAKE UP and start STEPPING UP to be what God has designed us to be. All in all, its a really good book. If you want to borrow a copy, let me know!


We've moved onto Celebration of Discipline. I wasn't sure a book could get better than Fear of the Lord, but I was wrong. We spent 5 hours on the first chapter! We had an in depth discussion about superficiality and how disconnected our generation is becoming because we have become leeches to social networks, the internet, and text based communications (text messaging). The phone call is being called the "new hand written letter". In 2008, text message usage topped voice call usage. What? Yeah- text message is in, the phone call is out. (Check out this article on the subject - http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/13/alexia-phone-home/)


I can sit here and ask, "Why? WHY is my generation doing this?" but I would much rather get up and say, "HEY! Wake up America! Facebook and your cell phones are frying your brains!" Well, I don't really think that would be my choice of words, but you get the picture. I don't want my grand childrens history books to be filled with stories of a society that was so addicted to their computer screens that they completely forgot how to relate to each other. Who am I kidding- my grand children probably wont even have text books- it will all be read from an electronic device. I digress.

I guess what I am getting at is how much I am beginning to realize that life is so precious and valuable. Before GL I felt like I was stuck in a giant vortex of lifelessness and superficiality. The beauty of it all is that I don't have to live that way anymore! And guess what- NEITHER DO YOU! God is waiting so anxiously for us to hear him calling out names! He crying out to us and we can't hear Him because we have our iPods in our ears. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my iPod. I'm actually listening to it right now. But what I have learned is that headphones in my ears when there are people around to talk to, is rude. And having my phone out when there is opportunity for fellowship, is rude. Do you want to see America crumble to pieces because of stupid, little plastic devices? I dont.

I'm coming home on Tuesday and I can't wait to see my family and start making up for all of the time that I spent in my room on my computer. Even better, now that I don't have my nose in my computer, I can't start focusing on how I am going to change this in our nation.

Watch out America, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am learning to express myself through art while enjoying life.

  © Blogger template Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP